Things I'm Ditching To Save Money In 2018

Rainbow flowers my friend sent me for my birthday, which made my January and remind me to keep motivated.


I was going to write a bunch this month, but I got some awful news that I'm still processing. At the same time it shook me hard, so I took some time out. But I'm trying my best to get back into a normal routine, and I'm lucky to have amazingly supportive people around me. So I wanted my first post of 2018 to be a good one, and if like me your year has already kicked off to a not so great start then I hope this may help you a little. Maybe it will get you thinking about how you can redirect your money, and put it towards something you want or need.  I'm starting to think more, to what I can do and how I'm going to reach my goals realistically. So what is my big change this year, and how am I going to get the much needed cash. 

Okay, so it's not ground breaking, and it will take me some time. But I've decided if I want more days out with the boys, then I'm going to have to cut back even more.  This doesn't mean I'm going to go without, as a hoarder on a journey to having less stuff it means I'm changing my habits so that I can put money into experiences with my kids. Because while i like a lot of my stuff, I can't help but feel I'm missing out on life. Going out, and making memories is more important than bringing more into my space. 


So how on earth am I going to do this, as I don't really go out and I'm not one for blowing a bunch of money. So where is all my money going? So what have I learnt from other hoarders to minimalists and how can I apply it to my life so it works for me. 


Working out where my money went

So I started tracking my spending, maybe keep your receipts or note down for a month where your money is going. ALL OF IT, for so long I was only accounting for parts of my money, bills etc. Yes it's old skool but it works, even with a small budget we can end up spending it in places it's not needed. Even if your not actively spending money on clothing or things, maybe your spending a crazy amount on takeaway coffee, bottles of water. 

Sticking to it

Once you have worked out where that money is being spent, you need a bit of motivation for giving those up (maybe not). If you can make a small money goal chart, it will help you keep focused on why you are changing your habits. ' Trip to the beach' for example you can add some pictures and decorate it too. It will help you stay on track, and when you think about dipping in it for something you kinda of want you won't be as tempted too. 

Purchases I'm ditching this year

  • Nail polish -  I had no idea just how much I was spending on nail polish, but it turns out I was spending a lot. Even when they were just from the pound shop , it was a treat I thought it's not clothing so it didn't matter. I have two whole boxes worth! I don't need anymore so this year I won't be buying any until they are all gone. Even if it's just £20, that's still money I can put towards taking my boys out for the day.  Do you have a 'treat' purchase, even if it's just a little thing maybe consider giving it up for a while to save.  

  • Having Coffee\tea out -I usually do this more social, but it was going from a couple of times to every other day. I've already starting putting this in to practice. I have a travel mug, so I need to make sure I use it a bit more. The odd coffee or tea is fine, but I have stuff to do so spending less time in coffee shops or cafes as well as money is not an option this year. If I'm going out with a friend that's fine, but going for one to avoid things I need to do is only going to cause me more stress in the long run. 

  • Phone cases- I finished last year with at least 13! I'm happy with my one case, and honestly when I think about how much money I wasted on cases I didn't even use. Again they aren't massive buys, but that was still money I was spending every month. I purchased them online also, so usually forgot I had even bought them. They ended up all over the house and so I purchased more. As cute as some are, I honestly don't need another grave yard of them this year. 

  • Magazines- fashion, crochet, kids ones any magazines are firmly banned from being purchased. I finally got rid of my hoard of Elle and other fashion magazines, and again just thinking about how much I actual looked at them was pointless. We have so many social platforms nowadays,  that you can go to for inspiration I don't have the money or the space anymore.   I was spending most of the magazines I was buying retailed at £4.00 and above, so again small spends that add up. My boys have a heap of craft stuff and I prefer to buy them books with stories they can enjoy. If I need patterns, there are so many online. If there is a pattern I really need, I can solo purchase that then a whole magazine. 

  • Toy treats for the boys-  This is something I know has to stop, my boys have every toy under the sun.  They DO NOT need anymore. Yet I get mum guilt, maybe it rained on the weekend and we couldn't go out or they had a rough week. So I see little things every now and then and think the boys would like that. I'm not saying I'll never treat them, but they don't need this stuff. I think they would much rather go out and have fun. I never realised how much I was spending again, it was adding up to almost £20 a month for things they got bored with after a week. So I'm going to be strong and resist. 


These are just some of the things I've noticed so far, while they are not massive purchases by themselves when you add them up all together it's shocking. I'm still going to keep tracking,  as time goes on I'm sure I'll  spot other things I can ditch. Baz and I have already decided this year, that we would much rather go out for a meal then do valentines gifts. I'm starting to feel the benefit of having less stuff, and saving money doesn't have to mean you won't have a life. I have already planned where I want it to go and that's driving me to be more mindful of even my smallest purchase. Have you got any tips for stuff to cut out? I would love to know what your ditching this year.  


1 comment

  1. I worked out I'd save a fortune if I stopped buying coffees and lunches when I'm at work. I've cut down but seriously need to cut it out completely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I really do love hearing from you x