Girls That Game: Life Is Strange On PS4 #girlsthatgame



One evening when I had just completed Uncharted 4, and was left with that sort of high followed by that awful 'what do I play now' feeling. So went into full on seek mode to fill the void, hours of looking through my favourite gamer channels followed by some must play lists. Then chatted with some twitter friends, a pattern quickly formed and the same title kept appearing. I know it's from way back in 2015, but sometimes certain games get over shadowed by the same repetitive titles. I'm not even sure where to begin, because I've never felt like this about a game. Firstly no spoilers are here what so ever. I loath them, and I would never ruin your gaming experience. At the same time I can't not talk about this game. So wanted to give you a  honest review, without giving it away. 

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm has just been realised (not for Mac users sadly) and I wasn't ready to play it to be honest after just finishing the game. But they are just games right, anyone who has played this DONTNOD Entertainment master piece could never agree with that. So how has this company made what I can only describe as a cult classic in gaming.  

I decided to play the demo, which I would always recommend. As we all play differently and you may just not be into it. This goes for all games, and will save you a lot of money as there are some rubbish games out there. I play on the PS4, but like with Bioshock this game was designed for pc. Saying that I found this game to flow well, and I  didn't feel it took away from the experience. I wasn't sure what to except, so went in blindly. I think I was quick to react the way I would with a first person, and this is completely different. This game is choice based, and at first leads you to believe that it's going to be basic. 



While other games are aiming to be as HD as possible, Life is strange is more like walking into a painting. The design of this game is beautiful, there are little details everywhere and it's easy to miss them. I would say slow down and take your time, because that what's this game is all about. The theme is the butterfly effect and how all actions have consequences. The walk through is smooth, and I got to grips pretty quickly with what I could do. The game is split into five episodes, this is where it becomes more then just a game for me. It's a story almost film like, as it takes you on a journey learning about yourself and the people around you.  

You play as Max who has moved to bay to study photography, I absolutely love that you get to take photos in this game. It's very subtle at drawing you into Max's world, and seeing things from her perspective. But as in real life, one perspective is not the whole story. It's not long before Max finds she has the power to rewind time. It sounds easy, you say the wrong thing, rewind. You find yourself in a tricky place, rewind. But and this is a massive but, the rewind symbol which is above will soon come to haunt you. As you get to know Max and her relationship with others, it's easy how invested you become with them. And it soon becomes clear that these seemly throw away actions, will lead to the bigger picture.

A picture that's going to make it harder and harder for you to decide! Overall I absolutely loved this game and would recommend it to anyone, no matter which games you prefer to play. It's just so different and magical, it allows you to really care about the characters. I know not everyone was crazy about the ending, I did feel that starting off on such a high was going to be hard to top. I can't wait for the new year, as I've decided it's time to start Before the Storm, it's going to be odd not having Max's powers but also will make for a more intense choice as that's it no rewind.  The only negative I have to say about this game, was that it wasn't longer honestly I could have played this game for a whole other chapter. Also that I will probably never forgive the makes for the final decision you have to make *no spoilers.

So if your looking for something new to play, I would put this at the top of your list if you haven't already. If you like this game then I would suggest Until Dawn and Heavy Rain, both amazing games that are choice based. Have you played this game, what did you think about it? Have you started Before the storm, do you think it can compare to Life is Strange, I would love to know your views. 

No comments

Thank you for your comments, I really do love hearing from you x